Sunday, March 25, 2012

Easter Egg Bouquet

Well, Spring has officially sprung!  The weather has been beautiful here this week, my kids were even begging to turn on the sprinklers yesterday (okay, it wasn't really THAT warm.)  Easter is only a couple weeks away now and I thought I'd share with you this really cute idea for an Easter bouquet.  My friend, Mary Jo, found this fun idea on Pinterest (I'm sorry, I don't know who to give original credit to), and we made them along with another friend,  a couple weeks ago.


This is a very easy project and very inexpensive, too.  I'm pretty sure you could find everything at the Dollar Store.

Supplies:
Eggs - number depends on the size of the container.  Here I used 3 pkgs. (36 total) of the big eggs (from Walmart) and 2 of the little eggs (from the dollar store.)
Container - mine was a blue plastic Easter bucket
Foam - a foam block trimmed a little for height, and then sliced off the corners so it would fit in the bucket
Bamboo Skewers
Ribbon
Easter grass or moss or whatever you like to cover up the foam
Paint - silver spray paint & black craft paint

I started with my bucket.  I bought silver spray paint, hoping to get a look as shiny-like as the eggs themselves.  The lid on the can was that kind of silver, but it didn't come out as a mirror finish.  It looked like this:


Nice, but not the look I wanted, so I decided to try some black paint on it to see if it would bring out some of the details and make it look sort of zinc-ish.  Sorry for the lack of pictures here, but it was a fast process and I couldn't paint and take pictures at the same time.  I was also talking to my sister on the phone and was supposed to be at my friend's house in a few minutes.  :)  Nothing like waiting until the last minute.  Anyway . . . I dipped my dry paint brush in a little black paint and just dabbed, brushed, pounced over a little area.  Then quickly grabbed a paper towel and wiped as much as I could off and smeared it around some more.  That's the whole technique, paint and rub, paying particular attention to the knobs and details I wanted highlighted.  Here's how it turned out:


If I would have thought about it, I would have cut off the little knob that held the handle on, but oh well, it's not that noticeable now.

Next, start sticking the skewers into the eggs.  All my big eggs already had holes in them, and the little ones were styrofoam.  Put the foam into your container and start sticking in the eggs.  I'm no flower arranger, so this was a little stressful for me.  My basic idea was taller in the middle, then get smaller toward the edge, also watching not to put the same colors next to each other.  When I was done, I filled in holes with the little eggs.  I did break some of the skewers to vary the height also.  Finally, tie a cute bow - I'm also terrible at bow tying, so Mary Jo tied mine and glue it onto the container.  I also wrapped the ribbon around the whole bucket.  Then fill with grass.  It was a fun, pretty quick little project. 


It's really so much more fun to craft with friends.  Thanks Mary Jo and Karie!

This post was featured by:
oopsey daisy feature {Junk in their Trunk} Photobucket 

  Pin It

18 comments:

Cheyenne said...

Such a great picture mom!

Trish - Mom On Timeout said...

So cute! I love all the ways we can use plastic eggs :) Thanks so much for sharing!

Little City Farm said...

I really like how this turned out. The shiny eggs really catch your eye. Thanks for sharing at our party this week.

aggieam01 said...

How cute!!! I love how this turned out!

Melanie @ bear rabbit bear said...

Festive! Glad to have you at Things I've Done Thursday!

Unknown said...

SO pretty! I LOVE it!! We are hosting a party today and would love it if you came by to share this!
Have a great weekend!!
Cari
twosasters.com

Chrissy said...

This is adorable! Would you consider sharing it over at my linky party?
http://www.thetaylor-house.com/2012/03/taylor-house-thursdays-linky-party-1.html

Janet said...

That is adorable and so creative.

Crafty Mischief said...

Your bouquet is darling! This would be a perfect gift for my kids' teachers. Thanks for sharing!

Sarah L. said...

So pretty and colorful!!

I would love for you to share this at my Flaunt It Friday link party. There are also TWO amazing giveaways this week!

http://www.dottedlinecrafts.com/2012/03/flaunt-it-friday.html

Looking forward to more posts,
Sarah@
www.dottedlinecrafts.com

Crafts a la Mode said...

This is a gorgeous basket of eggs!! Just gorgeous. Happy Easter. Linda

Megan@Whimsically Homemade said...

I like this idea. I wonder if you could fill those plastic eggs with little treats and give them as a gift. I'll have try that out. Love from Whimsically Homemade

Rachel said...

What a fun bouquet!! Thanks for sharing at Terrific Tuesdays.
Rachel
adventuresofadiymom.blogspot.com

Bethany @ A Fish Who Likes Flowers said...

What a fun bouquet! I might have to give this a try. Thanks for a great idea!

Heidi said...

So so cute! This is being featured today at {Junk in their Trunk}...thanks for linking up!!

Katie said...

Fun idea and I love how it's made on a budget. Super cute! Thank you for sharing on A Crafty Soiree.

Unknown said...

This turned out great! I love the basket. Thanks so much for sharing at Whimsy Wednesdays!

EmyKlive said...

I wanted to thank you sister....as I was able to make a few of these for my Christian brothers and sisters as a gift for being as beautiful as they are for Easter...all the credit having to actually go to you, thanks to your inspiration...God bless you.

-Muslim sister.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...